About West Union
West Union is located in the center of West Campus of Duke University. Not only does it's location lend to it's easy and accessible use to the students, but also it's layout.
The West Union Building was originally built in 1931. To renovate, the entire building interior was demolished except for the Horace Trumbauer designed dining halls. The building space was also expanded for more dining area and meeting space.
The architect for the project was GrimShaw of New York, while the general contractor was Skanska USA’s Durham Operator. The interior designing and branding elements were overseen by New York-based Celano Design Studio in partnership with Grimshaw. During construction, the project had about 300 workers on-site per day.
The project cost nearly $90 million, a significant portion of the funding for the renovation came from and $80 million gift from the Duke Endowment of Charlotte in 2011, which is the single largest philanthropic gift in the history of the University.
The First floor of West Union contains 7 dining vendors. Much action takes place here periodically throughout the day, especially during lunch and dinner.
However, even the floors above are used just as much. The top floor contains a Mexican food vendor during lunch and there are also many comfortable chairs and tables. Students are seen studying here during off hours and collaborating on projects.
The third floor houses the Faculty commons as well as rooftop dining. The ground floor also has constant action. This floor only has two main vendors, the Devil's Kraft House and Au Bon Pain, but because of the great out covered study tables as well as breakfast items held in Au Bon Pain, upperclassmen are constantly seen swinging in and out.